Foundations of Clinical Supervision - CA Version
Instructor: Steven M. Sultanoff, PhD
High Resolution Video and Downloadable Slides
Approved for 6 Hours of CE Credit
Fulfills requirements for Psychologists, MFTs, LCSWs
Six Hours Supervision Coursework!
This 6-hour course was recorded in late 2008, and includes supervision topics, laws and regulations specific for California supervisors. Throughout the course, Instructor Steven M. Sultanoff, PhD differentiates roles and responsibilities of mental health supervisors. Dr. Sultanoff introduces the concept of clinical supervision and how it differs from other types of mental health relationships. He next explores the nature of learning and the supervision process, and reviews skill learning and specific behavioral responses that facilitate or inhibit the clinical process. Dr. Sultanoff then explains models of supervision such as case consultation, and analyzes actual supervision videos and vignettes that illustrate the concepts presented. He next examines transcription supervision, supervisee reactions to clients and supervisors, and strategies to deal with difficult supervisees. Finally, Dr. Sultanoff reviews and discusses current California rules and regulations affecting mental health supervision. This course is offered in three convenient Online and CD formats available below.
Course Goal and Objectives
Overall goal: To enhance your understanding of the behaviors of clinical supervision, as well as offering strategies to expand your repertoire of skills.
Objectives: Completion of the 6-hour course will enhance your ability to:
- Differentiate supervision from other professional “supervisory” relationships.
- Clarify the multiple roles and multiple responsibilities of supervisors.
- Identify the core behaviors of supervision.
- Identify core qualities of effective supervisee qualities.
- Identify counter-productive ingrained supervisee behaviors.
- Incorporate fundamental therapeutic responses into the supervision process.
- Identify common ineffective response behaviors that supervisees exhibit.
- Identify effective and ineffective ways of being in therapy.
- Understand the process of skill training for supervisees.
- Identify modes for effective supervisee learning.
- Become familiar with the types of supervisees regulated by CA boards.
- Understand the rules and regulations for both supervisors and supervisees.